Monday, August 2, 2010

Veg Night at Amanda's!








Last night I went over to my friend Amanda's for a nice vegetarian dinner. Ever since Amanda became Vegetarian after she saw The Cove (not the half homoerotic show about witches and worlocks but the documentary on the slaughter of dolphins on the Japanese coasts) she became a full fledged veg-cook. All this happened 10 days ago. I have to say that after a taste of full strength vegetarianism she almost put the bug in my head too (I say 'almost' because being a vegetarian and being a Torontonian culinarian traveller is quite impossible). All this thanks to the great dishes she cooked for me last night, and I didn't even have to see one dolphin getting slaughtered. She made me a portobello mushroom on a bun, with tons of vegetables for garnishing including pan fried sweet peppers with onions, guacamole, tomato slices, avocado slices, and asparagus (which I didn't eat because of my strong hatred for the vegetable). For sides Amanda cooked red skinned potatoes and packed them with a thick spread of home made pesto, which she previously created. 
The dinner came with a side of salad and boiled fagiolini with garlic and olive oil. Our dear friend Monique (also a herbivore)  joined us at 6:30 and we all ate together. All was going well until we realized that we were locked outside the house thanks to a very fictional piece of wood that had fallen behind the sliding door. We eventually shoved Amanda inside through a window, who let us back in with our belongings and her adorable new cat Sage.

After the animal free dinner we decided to finish the evening by watching two hours of people getting torn apart on True Blood while eating cookie-dough ice cream. :)




Vegetarian dinner mission: COMPLETE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment